Thursday, August 7, 2008

Adriano Zumbo - Balmain

Cakes.

Just food, and yet also, may be a kind of art.

And Adriano Zumbo definitely creates cakes that score high on the art scale.
In fact, each individual slice seems to bring along with it its own character and style


Going there late in the afternoon, we were informed by the cheery shop assistant that the most popular cakes were sold out. Although I was somewhat disappointed, I still stood wowed by the cakes which were left over.

Various cakes on display.

Being a chocoholic, I opted for the Chocolate Sacher - layers of chocolate sacher cake and dark chocolate genache layers ($5.50). My partner tried to convince me to get the Chocolate Fondant as well, but I decided to be a bit more adventurous (and a bit less boring). Hence, the Cinque Terre it was. This comprised of flourless chocolate biscuit, citron creme, raspberry cremeux, candied vanilla, olives, chocolate cinnamon mousse ($7.50).

My first bite into the Chocolate Sacher bought me to chocolate heaven, and my first (and possibly only) impulse was to gobble up the whole thing (after offering to let my partner taste it of course!). After a lot of self-control (and self-talk to remind myself that I can get back to eating this cake after I try the other one), I bravely entered unknown (unchocolatey) territory. And I was pleasantly surprised. Although not as heavenly as the chocolate cake, the Cinque Terre offered a sense of complexity to my taste buds. The meringue part was light and somewhat fluffy, the citron creme provided an affable contrast to the chocolate biscuit and mousse, and the olives... well, I was never a fan of olives so I could be a bit biased.

Chocolate Sacher - $5.50.

Closer up view of the heavenly chocolate cake.

Cinque Terre - $7.50

Close up of the olives in the cake.

Nonetheless, I look forward to my next (hopefully earlier) visit to the humble little store on a busy busy street in Balmain.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 8/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 30/40

Adriano Zumbo
296 Darling Street
Balmain NSW
Tel: (02) 98107318


No comments: