Friday, October 17, 2008

Stalactites - Melbourne CBD


No trip Melbourne would be complete without a trip down to Stalactites Melbourne CBD. Mention the word Stalactites to anyone in Melbourne and they think 'souvlakis' and not dripping speleothem.

Stalactites is situated on the bustling Greek precinct of Lonsdale Street. I've been told this family business has been in the same location since 1978. This place is open 24 hours, so you'll see a huge mix of crowds throughout the day. This restaurant caters for early breakfasts, lunches, dinner after work, supper and food(or drinks) after a big night out. I think in my short period in Melbourne, (2 months) I've been here for all the reasons listed above.

The fresh gyros souvlakis, their trademark, and equipped with 24 hour operations, this place is the "must go" place after a night out in town.


Chicken and Lamb Souvlaki (open with Hommus) - $11.50

I had the open chicken and lamb souvlaki with extra hommus. Sometimes I like to add double the meat for an extra dollar, Bargain!



Chicken Souvlaki $9.5

My friend had the normal chicken souvlaki with basic garlic sauce. He claims these are the best souvlakis.. I wouldn't argue with him, these are most excellent.

I've already been here a few times and I love the food here. Highly recommended due to the buzzy atmosphere, great food and great value.


Ratings:
Food - 9/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 8.5/10
Overall - 31.5/40

Stalactites Restaurant
177-183 Lonsdale Street (Crn Russell Street)
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 96633316

No comments: