Monday, December 22, 2008

Cafe Mix - The Rocks (Shangri-La)

What to eat for dinner?

My partner and I contemplated for hours on end whether we should go Jap or buffet. I was dying for scallop and salmon sashimi, my partner was all for cold crab, cold prawns, oysters and lamb.

As the decision was too difficult, my partner picked - and buffet at Cafe Mix it was~

Cafe Mix

This photo was taken when I was stuck at the table whilst my partner hungrily scouted for food.

And he seemed to come back with a smile on his face.

My partner's first plate - oysters, bugs, prawns, and some greens.

I have to say, that Cafe Mix seemed very much focused on seafood - the seafood selection surprised me... alot~ but the hot food selection... well, maybe they don't expect people to want hot food after eating lots of seafood.

Another one of my partner's plates - one with scallop sashimi!!! (my first surprise). Who would have thought? My cravings were instantly subdued. Many more seafoody plates like this followed.

I have to say though, that the scallops got smashed quite quickly. If you weren't up there, getting food when they bought out the scallops, chances were - you won't know they ever existed!

My next surprise... lobster~!!! By this time, my partner was thoroughly happy happy. Again, lobster's did not last long on the buffet.


One of our many plates of shells - looks almost like we didn't eat anything!


When I finally got sick of cold seafood and went scouting for hot food, disappointment kicked in. Nice-looking hot food - where art thou? There used to be a small bar area which grilled steak and pork and lamb for you on order. It exists no longer (but then again, last time I was here, scallop and lobster did not exist). [oh, and I didn't take photos of the hot food area because I was too lazy to open all the lids (and because then other people will think I'm wierd), and the food itself was not too appetising-looking]

Mr Sushi-Chef

Not to worry - when all else fails, there is always the dessert table to hit!


Overall, my partner and I were both very very full and very very satisfied with all the seafood we ate. The service was attentive and the waitress was nice and friendly. She managed to take away our gazillions of plates of shells without giving us weird looks. Maybe she's used to it! :)
Definitely a buffet to go to if you're up for seafood. But if you were also craving hot food (and hot chips), go elsewhere.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 8/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 8/10
Overall - 31/40

Cafe Mix
Level 1, Shangri-La Hotel
176 Cumberland Street
The Rocks NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9250 6000

No comments: