Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Squires Loft Steakhouse - Melbourne

Hi, it's me! (bbsnoopy's partner),


A friend of mine recently came to visit me in Melbourne. It was 6:00 pm, I had returned from work to find my friend (lets call him Ken) still sleeping. I popped on the news and 30 minutes later Ken has woken up. He is pretty hungry having slept through Breakfast and Lunch. I had the Loft in mind and ran the idea past him. I had heard good reviews of this steakhouse in Melbourne so I was quite excited.

I called to book a table for two at 6:30pm for a 7:00pm booking, and to our surprise we could secure a booking. This restaurant is located at 12 Goldie Place, a quiet alleyway (like most other restaurants in Melbourne) close to Hardware Ln. Walking down the alley my friend was quite scared as a result he started to walk slower and began to shadow me - stupid Sydneysiders.

The Loft

Once we arrived at the restaurant we were promptly brought to our tables. We also promptly received our drinks. Perhaps a bit too promptly as they were not quite chilled enough.


400g Angus Porterhouse with Mustard Sauce - $45

I ordered the 400g Angus porterhouse steak with baked potato and mustard sauce. I wanted Medium Rare and Medium Rare was what I got - quite perfect. It was reasonably tender, deliciously juicy and tasted great. However, the mustard sauce was very average - just seeded dijon mustard with cream (I had expected more).

My friend ordered the 300g Ribeye (non Angus). He loved his meal and claimed it as the most tender and tasty steak he has ever had. The first thought that ran through my mind was 'Ken needs to get out more'. Unable to resist, I tried his steak, and behold, it was indeed more tender and more juicy than mine. Also, the creamy garlic sauce was to die for. Ken's whole meal was better than mine. It guess it's only fair given that his WAS comparatively more expensive than mine (per gram). That thought left me a little more satisfied.

300g Ribeye with Chips and Creamy Garlic Sauce - $42


Overall, this place left a good impression. Atmosphere was casual, the service was great and the food was even better. I would recommend this place to any steak lovers. Be sure to try the Angus and the other certified meat they have available, we were too cheap to try the more expensive cuts.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 8/10
Ambiance - 8/10
Value for money - 6/10
Overall - 30/40




Squires Loft Melbourne
12 Goldie Place
Melbourne City
Tel: (03) 9670 7317


No comments: