Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reuben Hills - Surry Hills

In the last few months, due to some family things, I feel as though we hadn't been able to get out much. So last Sat, when I had the chance, I made sure we made out eating out experience 'worth it'. I googled and researched and looked and searched and finally decided on the hip brekky/brunch place that everyone is talking about - Reuben Hills.

We got here and my heart sank a bit... there was an EPIC line! Funnily enough, we bumped into a friend in this wait list - she'd been there 30 mins prior. Nonetheless, we were here, we're not leaving without some good food and coffee so we waited. 15-20 mins later, we were seated (much to the dismay of our friend, who came as a group of 6). We were seated right at the window which looked out to our waiting friend - talk about a guilt-trip!

Hubby ordered an OJ and I a cappuccino. He swears that this is the best Freaking OJ he has EVER drank. It was like that asian-type of mild, slightly watery and sugary but still orangey type of OJ. He LOVED it and just had to order a second one, even after he complained about how full he was. My coffee was also divine. I don't know if it was just my need for a caffeine fix - but it was gloriously aromatic and smooth and delicious.
OJ
cappuccino
Food-wise, we had a lot of trouble making up our minds. Everything sounded delicious! In the end, hubby settled for the 'NOT reuben' ($16). This is a wagyu brisket toasted rye sandwich with fresh pickled slaw, manchego and horseradish cream. Hubby LOVED this too! It tasted fresh and gave off the illusion of healthy. It was tasty and filling and yum.

 NOT Reuben
I decided to stomach the 'Tradesmans Brioche' ($14). Yes - sounds like a blokey option, looked like a blokey option but it was absolutely devine and what I had hoped for. Sloppy, juicy, tasty and everything! Inside my sugary brioche buns was a thin layer of herby eggs (and oil), loads of thinly sliced Jamon, chunks of glorious avocado and a wet tomato relish. It was messy! But awesome! I'd have loved seconds of this if only my stomach allowed.
tradesman brioche
So yup -tick of approval from us. Would definitely revisit Reuben Hills. Warm hint - don't come here in groups. Come with just one or two other people. Our friend (in a company of 6) had to wait 1 1/2 hours before she could sample this yummy food.

Ratings:
Food - 9.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7.5/10
Overall - 31/40

Reuben Hills
61 Albion St
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
doesn't take bookings

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

the salted caramel milkshake at reuben hills is freaking amazing!

bbsnoopy said...

I've heard that from so many people!
Definitely have to try it next time :)