Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mappen - Sydney

For a quick afterwork bite, hubby and I decided to head to Mappen. We were pretty surprised to find quite a large crowd at this udon place but as its such a quick and easy thing to eat, customers came and went really quickly.
Hubby had the beef udon whereas I got greedy and went for the Bukkake Double Otama (ie. two half boiled eggs). I was reminiscing the awesomely smooth yet chewy udon we had in Tokyo, but compared to that, the udon unfortunately fell a bit short. Nonetheless, Sydney-udon-wise, this was probably pretty decent. Hubby's beef udon with the beef stock was pretty tasty. My soft boiled eggs were also quite deliciousness (though, it could have been a tiny bit more runny). The sesame flavour in my soup/sauce was unfortunately, a bit too overpowering.
beef udon

Bukkake Double Otama

Tempura-wise, we had the chicken, the fish-cake and the prawn. My favourite was the fish cake (but I am biased). The tempura batter was pretty crunchy and tasty though~
tempura
I guess Mappen will satisfy my udon craving briefly... until we get to go to Japan again!!! :P

Ratings:
Food - 7/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 28/40

Mappen (Sydney CBD)
Shop 11, 537-551 George Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9283 5525

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Love the ontama eggs here - and it's always hard to stop yourself going a little nuts at the tempura station! lol

Golden Sun Restaurant said...

Wow, this looks like a great place to hang out, food looks fantastic. Been really busy managing a a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area but love learning about great eats :) I wish you guys would feature local restaurants near my area :)