Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Grove - Auckland

For our recent trip to Auckland, hubby booked us in to dine at 'The Grove' - one of the top restaurants in the city. It's a softly lit restaurant set in a slightly odd 'L' shape. Service is quick to collect our coats and offer us drinks. We had a choice of a-la-carte or degustation. I think hubby was leaning for the degust, but for the night, I just wanted a simple tasty meal.

Due to lighting, my photos are just not great... sorry!
Amuse Bouches came. All I remember was that it was deliciousness. Crispy elements and smooth pate elements.... that's all I remember... >.<
As for our entrees, hubby got the crayfish and blue nose boudin blanc with creamed potato, savoy cabbage, and bottarga. LOVED it! The boudin blanc was creamy and full of flavour. The bottarga also added a good punch to the whole dish and the mash tied the whole dish together. Wonderful really!
I got allured by the thought of truffled scampi, served as a terrine with leeks, roasted chicken juices and cholorophyll. Unfortunately, the terrine lacked a bit of flavour. It was mainly chicken flavour... but barely even that. Small bits of scampi was scattered throughout... but where's my truffle flavour? :( I quite like the chlorophyll though~
The mains exceeded my expectations. Hubby got the veal, super slow cooked, super tender and super melt-in-your-mouth. Soooo tasty and delicious! It was served with scampi, stuffed morels, aubergine and young carrots. Yes the scampi was just a tiny bit on the end of the plate, but who cares when the veal was so amazing?
My hapuka was also really tasty. Perfectly cooked fish served with a champagne veloute which was also crazy delicious. On top of that, there was salt baked turnips and toasted macadamias. The whole dish was packaged well and delivered more than I expected.
We also got a side of greens with cafe de paris butter and bacon which was decent enough. Dessert-wise, none of the sweet options enticed me and so, we just opted for a NZ local cheese. I remember that I really liked the pre-dessert. I think it was like a strawberry sorbet with a crisp and a marshmellowy foam? Again, my memory is hazy. The cheese we got at the end was also a good end to the meal - nothing too overly special but.

All up, we had a great time at the Grove. A delicious meal with fresh NZ produce. YUM.

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 8/10
Ambiance - 7.5/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 31/40

The Grove
St Patricks Square
Wyndham Street
Auckland
Tel: (09) 368 4129

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Wow that veal sounds incredible! Such a delicious meat when it's done well.

Unknown said...

Indeed it looks like delish and yummy.. Wait for me, I'll be there sooo soon.