Monday, February 22, 2010

Grill'd (5) - Crows Nest

I am a HUGE fan of Grill'd burgers. I usually have nothing but good things to say about Grill'd. However, my last experience at Grill'd in Crows Nest has led to decide that I never ever will visit Grill'd in Crows Nest again.

Why?

I LOVE Grill'd chips with herbed mayo - I think that they are possibly the best chips on earth. BUT - Crows Nest Grill'd managed to screw them up for me soooooo badly that I didn't even want to eat them.

Let me explain.
For an early dinner before a movie, my partner and I decided to share a burger and a regular chips with herbed mayo at Grill'd. I chose the Tuscan Delight ($11.50). This had grilled chicken, roasted peppers, pesto, salad, tasty cheese and herbed mayo - and was delicious, tasty, succulent and juicy. It was pretty awesome.

Tuscan Delight - $11.50

When it came to the chips - this is how I rememeber them. And this is how they come out pretty much every single time in Melbourne - golden brown, crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Sprinkled with tasty salt and herbs and almost uncannily thick, flat and rectangular looking. Super duper deliciously hot hot yummy chips.

my memory of how Grill'd chips ought to be - in Melbourne

However, this is how they turned out on the day. It looked like potato ends filled my batch of regular chips ($4.50) with herbed mayo ($0.50). Not only were they not awesomely flat and rectangular looking, they were also very un-golden brown. Most of them look as though they were deep fried for a bit, left for a while so that the chips all soak in the oil to become a deep dark brown colour, then deep fried again in not-hot-enough oil to make them soggy, uncrispy and super unappetising. This is the quality of chips I expect to get at ... I don't even know where. Even corner-shop chips and chips from dicey asian places tend to look more appetising than this.

So truly dissappointing. It's just not good enough.

Dismal appalling chips - $4.50 (reg) + $0.50 (herbed mayo)

So. My conclusion is. I still love Grill'd. But I don't think I will go back to Crows Nest for Grill'd. My next Grill'd visit will probably be in Melbourne where my chips come out perfect every time.

Ratings:
Food - 6/10
Service - 6/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 6/10
Overall - 25/40

Grill'd
57 Willoughby Road
Crows Nest
NSW 2065
Tel : (02) 9436 0699

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

oh dear those chips look mighty sad looking!

bbsnoopy said...

yes - very dismal. I left with a heavy heart.
I did email Grill'd and they said they were going to give the staff some training... so fingers crossed - that will happen SOON.