Thursday, August 18, 2011

Colebee Centre - Doonside

One of my friend's weddings was in the dead of winter. The ceremony and reception took place at the Colebee Centre which was in Doonside - out west... out in the open... late afternoon... making it even colder. Hence, being inside with food was warmly welcomed.

For starters, the classic bread roll with butter. Nothing too special.

bread roll

In terms of entrees, there was alternate beef and cannelloni dishes placed. I was lucky enough to get the sliced roast beef. The beef was sandwiched between toasted ciabatta, rocket, cherry tomatoes and drizzled with olive tapenade. This was OK ish. The beef was tender enough and the rocket was fresh... not a fan of the cherry tomatoes. The reason why I said lucky I got the beef was because the the cannelloni pasta was filled with roasted pumpkin (which I don't eat), fetta (which I don't like), ricotta (which I'm not a huge fan of) and thyme... all drenched in rich bechamel sauce. Yeh... rich, creamy but not really my type of dish.

sliced roast beef, rocket, cherry tomatoes and olive tapenade

roasted pumpkin, fetta, ricotta and thyme filled cannelloni

One of the mains was very similar to the entree. In fact, I think that they used the same beef in the entree as with the main. The beef escalopes were served with a pink peppercorn and brandy cream sauce with potatoes, carrots and zucchini. That was my partner's dish. Mine was a huge chunk of pork with apple compote and light gravy. This was served with mash and veges. Again... dishes were OK ish...

beef escalopes in a pink peppercorn and brandy cream sauce

pork with apple compote and light gravy, mash and veges

Dessert was probably my favourite of the night. My partner received the sticky date pudding with hot butterscotch sauce whilst I got the chocolate gelato truffle ball with a creamy centre which was rolled in dutch cocoa. I loved my dessert. Sweet finish. The gelato was awesome. Chocolatey enough. YUM :)

sticky date pudding with hot butterscotch sauce

chocolate gelato truffle ball with a creamy centre rolled in dutch cocoa

Guess that at weddings, it's not about the food but about how awesome the bride and groom were. And they were definitely awesomeness :)

Ratings:
Food - 6.5/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 6.5/10
Value for money - ?/10
Overall - 19.5 + ?/40

Colebee Centre
Nurrangngy Reserve
Knox Road
Doonside
NSW 2767
Tel: (02) 9831 5265

No comments: