Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sydney Fish Market - Pyrmont

I LOVE seafood! (especially fresh raw seafood)
So I was super happy when my partner finally decided to take me to the fish market.


What did I want to eat?
Absolutely everything!
Sashimi salmon, sashimi scallops, oysters, prawns, seaweed salad... and so the list continues.


What did my partner want to eat?

Deep fried calamari rings.

As we do have limited stomachs (and because my partner's list was relatively shorter), we decided to give up on some of the items on my list of wishes. Which, was fair enough... kind of.


As I mentioned before, I love going to the fish market. It's so big and exciting that I want to look at absolutely everything (much to the dislike of my partner who hates walking).

Mud crabs - seem to be in multitudes today.

Ooo... my scallops!!!

Nonetheless, after our routine scout of the place and checking out what each store had to offer, this is what we decided on.

Christies

Salmon sashimi from Christies (simply because the line at Peters was overwhelming, and thus, off-putting to our hungry stomachs). The salmon was fresh and super super tasty! mmm... satisfies my week-long craving.

Salmon sashimi... mmm

Oysters, also from Christies (because this is where we always get our oysters). We were tossing up between the oysters from Coffin Bay and the Hawkesbury, but, when crunch time came, Hawkesbury came blurting out of my partner's mouth. So, Hawkesbury it is! And an excellent choice at that! The oysters were big and fat and juicy and oh so yummy!

Oysters in multitude

Our potential oysters

Oysters which ended up in my stomach

And, my must-have on every trip to the fish market - seaweed salad! (also from Christies for convenience sake).
Seaweed Salad

The Man at BBQ Grill

And of course, we ordered a seafood platter to satisfy my partner's cravings. After bringing up all our past experiences of not finishing even half a seafood platter for 2, I convinced him to get the seafood platter for 1 from BBQ Grill, which, as it turns out, was a horrible decision - as it was quite unexpectedly small, and left us wanting.
Seafood platter for One

Not to worry! I still had items on my food wish list. But, it was overridden by my partner's fantastic idea to taste the new yum-cha place that opened. Images of siu mai and prawn dumplings floated to my head and not a moment later, we were upstairs in (almost empty) restaurant. There, we were greeted by many friendly staff, and were asked many many times why we went so late (as it was nearing 3pm).
Yum cha place - Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant

Shortly after we sat down, my
siu mai's came offering themselves to me! And, these were pretty damn good siu mai's (beats the ones at Din Tai Fung anyday!)

Siu Mai (pork and prawn dumplings)

Whilst I was happy chomping on my siu mai, my partner went ahead and ordered pumpkin xiao long bao. Although they looked kind of like xiao long bao, the skin of these was that of a xiao giao (prawn dumpling) - ie. not the usual skin. And the fact that there was pumpkin in it tainted the experience a little (as my partner conveniently forgot that I don't eat pumpkin >.<). Nonetheless, for the sake of tasting it, I bravely entered into unknown territory. It comprised of pork and prawn pieces (similar to a prawn dumpling you get at any other yum cha place) but with some mushy pumpkin bits (which thankfully, didn't have that strong pumpkin taste to it). So, it was ok! (for a non-pumpkin eater, that must be kind of a good rating... right?)
Pumpkin-flavoured xiao long bao (mini pork buns)

But, my favourite dish at this place, the xia jiao (prawn dumpling). It was deeeellliiicccciiiousss!!! :) And because my partner ordered a dish I didn't really eat (ie. the pumpkin thing), I got to eat three of these awesomeness little things! Perfect!

Xia jiao - prawn dumplings

Super close up of the super duper nice xia jiao... mmm

And that concluded our trip to the fish market (for today anyway).

Ratings (our fish market experience):
Food - 9/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 8/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 31/40


Sydney Fish Market
Cnr Pyrmont Bridge Road & Bank Street
Blackwattle Bay,
Pyrmont, NSW, 2009
Tel: (02) 9004 1100


No comments: