Monday, May 25, 2009

Cafe de Macau - Eastwood

Cafe de Macau

Where to for afternoon tea? Feeling like a bit of an asian, my partner and I wandered into Cafe de Macau in Eastwood. It was packed out! Know why? it's because asian cafes usually mean value for money decent food (I mean most, not all).

My partner and I ordered an afternoon tea set each. A beef brisket with egg noodle ($6.60) for my partner and a curry fishball and pigskin rice-noodles ($6.60). For 50c extra, my partner got a HK-style ceylon milk tea, and for $1 extra I could have gotton a cold drink. Instead, I ordered this awesomeness redbean grass-jelly float with icecream drink for $1.50 more.

HK-style milk tea

HK style milk tea is quite different from your western-style milk tea in the sence that it is much much smoother, and has much more tea flavour. In one word, it is simply better and tastier (sorry, 2 words).

redbean grass jelly icecream drink

And my drink? Awesomeness. It's like the best redbean grass-jelly icecream iced drink ever!!! No other asian cafe had been able to make this drink better than this one. I simply love how they are not stingy on the redbean or the grass-jelly or the icecream and they taste oh so yummy together!

curry fishball and pigskin noodles

My curry fishball and pigskin with rice noodles may seem gross to some people at first. But it is a very normal honky-style meal. The curry fish balls were really really awesome - the pigskin was less nice than I expected. Nonetheless, for $6.60, this was quite a decent meal.

beef brisket noodles

My partner's beef brisket with egg noodles was also decently delicious. With all the sauce mixed in with the noodles, it was a great combo~ My partner seemed reasonably satisfied with this.

In all, Cafe de Macau is a casual and slightly roudy hangout filled with asian customers. The food is also somewhat tailored to asian taste-buds. Being currently slightly economically challenged, cheap but nice food is definately a good snack choice.

Ratings:
Food - 7.5/10
Service - 6/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7.5/10
Overall - 28/40

Cafe de Macau
1 Trelawney Street
Eastwood
NSW 2122
tel: (02) 9858 1366

1 comment:

Von said...

I agree- the redbean grass jelly icecream drink is the best!