Friday, May 8, 2009

Tingha Palace - Parramatta


Tingha Palace

One early Saturday morning, my parents and I decided to have yum-cha, which is something we hadn't done in a while. It was quite early (around 10.30am) when we got to Tingha Palace which was an added bonus for us - as it was nice and quiet, you don't have to wait for a table, and all the food comes out steamingly hot and fresh!

I was craving for siu mai (pork and prawn dumplings) and these little things certainly satisfied my cravings. If you notice that my photos are a bit blurry, it is most probably because there was soooo much steam coming from the dim sims (as they were ridiculously hot and fresh)... (and partly because I'm not a good photographer) LOL. I guess I couldn't sacrifice hot fresh dim sims and wait for them to cool so that I could get my photo... eating them seemed more important!

Pork and prawn dumplings

This was veges and prawn dumplings - again, they were steaming hot and fresh. Sooooo deliciousness!

Prawn and vege dumplings

These four golden brown things are savoury deep fried dumplings type thing. Inside is mince and some veges. And honestly? These have to be the best of the kind - but again, I think that that's because it was so fresh! the outer layer was soooo crisp and cruchy and the floury thing was nice and chewy (but not overly so) and the whole thing was just soo sooooo fresh!!! It simply blew me away! (especially since I'm not usually a fan of these)

Deep fried savoury dumplings

My dad's favourites - barbeque pork buns. Again, they were super fresh! But I guess since bun's don't taste too different being super fresh v 20 mins fresh, they were similar to the normal variety you can get at most yum cha places.


Barbeque pork buns

Mum's beef tendons - again steaming hot. And there were just so many many of them! Definately getting money's worth of these. I like how these were not too overly flavoursome and yet, were not bland either. They were chewy yet not tough.


Steamed beef tendons

Sweet Chinese Donuts - these were MASSIVE and straight from the deep frier. It was crisp, it was hot, it was plain and yet not plain, it was really nice! (again, it's not a thing I usually enjoy eating but this one... oh my, it was soo nice!) I think if there's anything I picked up from this experience... it's that yumcha tastes all that much better when the food is fresh. So maybe it is worth the sacrifice of waking up just that little earlier if it means getting super super fresh and steamingly hot dim sims!

Deep fried sweet chinese donut

All up, the service was nice and friendly, and it wasn't too pricey. I think for the three of us, it cost $30 ish... (dad footed the bill - so I'm not sure of the price).

Ratings:
Food - 9/10 (but may be because everything was super fresh)
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10

Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 30/40


Tingha Palace
Parramatta Leagues Club
13-15 O’Connell Street
Parramatta
NSW 2150
Tel: (02) 9890 1688

No comments: