Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Max Brenner (2) - Sydney

Every visit to Max Brenner brings back memories. Memories of how my partner and I used to drive up and down the streets of Paddington and in and out of Chatswood looking for this weird amazing chocolate shop which offers a 'make-it-yourself' 'melt-chocolate-in-milk-over-candle' hot chocolate - ie. the Suckao. We use to drive so much in search of this - and the first time we found the (what used to be) little shop in Paddington, we were over the moon!

Over the years, more and more Max Brenners have popped up everywhere. It seems so common that the excitment and intrigue is almost lost. Nonetheless, I always enjoy a good chocolate hit every now and then :)

This particular night, we popped into Max Brenner and pretty much ordered our "usuals". Light snack before dinner consisting of my awesome dark chocolate lick ($2.50). I still remember the times when this was $2! Every time I order this, I think to myself, should I tell the dude to not put those white chocolate buttons in? Then I think - nah... he looks smart enough to not contaminate dark chocolate with white (coz that just makes it milk chocolate) and EVERYTIME I'm wrong. Next time I shall tell them to put dark choc drops into my dark choc lick. Still awesome though~ I think that the chocolate lick is the cheapest was to get an good portion of decent chocolate.

dark chocolate lick - $2.50

My partner ordered the dark chocolate Suckao ($6.50). I swear that these things have shrunk! The milk/candle portion used to be much bigger. But I could be wrong. I still really like the idea of heating up your own milk and melting real chocolate in it to make chocolate milk. The metal straw does make everything a bit hot and untouchable though. Most of the time, when my partner orders this, I tax quite a few of his chocolate bits :) Mmm... YUM.

dark chocolate suckao - $6.50

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 29.5/40

Max Brenner
Shop MG 24,
Metcentre,
273 George Street
Sydney
NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9251 7788


No comments: