Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sushi Bay - Castle Hill

Sushi Bay

Going for a late lunch/snack, my partner and I decided to grab a few sushis at Sushi Bay. Situated in the Piazza at Castle Towers, which is a place bustling with people at most hours of the day. In fact, even at 2pm, there's quite a few people chomping on sushis rotating around this restaurant. Plates here range from $2.50 to $7 a plate.

My first pick off the train was the surf clam salad ship. The salad was nice and cold and super tasty (I may be a bit biased here). The rice was slightly too warm, which threatens the seaweed of the sushi. Lucky for them, I think I plucked it off the belt very soon after it was made, meaning that for me, the seaweed was still kind of crisp.

surf shell crab ship

My partner chose a standard tuna salad and avocado roll. It was... standard?
My seafood stick salad and avocado roll was likewise very average.

tuna salad and avocado roll
seaweed salad and avocado roll

Another freshly cooked dish we managed to salvage was the soft shell crab. A touch on the too oily side, the crab was still very juicy and very tasty. Not sure if the seafood sauce was a good complement. I prefer jap mayo anyday. But overall, a deep fried dish to upset the healthiness of jap food is good anyday :)

soft shell crab

My partner was surprised that it took me this long to take this dish off the conveyer belt - the seaweed salad ship. Why? Cos I eat it every time! LOL This ship was flowing with the seaweed salad, which is super super awesome (because I love seaweed salad). However, to be honest, the sushi itself was just average. Same with my last plate of the day - the salmon avocado roll. Just average.

seaweed salad ship
salmon and avocado roll

I think that as far as Japanese and sushi goes, my partner and I have been spoilt in the past with fabulously fresh or creative pieces. This sushi train is OK as far as freshness goes - but as far as creativity, none was seen. The sushis are slighly small, salmon sashimi pieces sitting on top of rice is a lot smaller than other sushi joints I've been to, but I guess overall - the place is alright, not a bad place for a quick bite.

Ratings:
Food - 7/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 6.5/10
Overall - 27/40

Sushi Bay
Shop 19, Piazza
Castle Towers Shopping
Centre Castle St
NSW 2154
Tel: (02) 8850 6088

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favourite at Sushi Bay is their calamari maki (roll). It taste much better if you have it straight after they ,ake it because the calamari is still hot and crispy.

bbsnoopy said...

yesyes
all the sushi's taste much better when fresh :)