Monday, July 19, 2010

Tony Romas - Sydney

Tony Romas

Ribs!!! Love ribs - and crave ribs much much much. Hence, to quench our cravings, we landed at Tony Roma's. Unfortunately - landing at Tony Roma's on a Sunday means that we have to pay 10% more :(

Complementary bread came first. This bread roll was super soft and warm on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Because the insides were nice and warm, it melted the herby butter (or plain margarine) pretty much straight away - leading to bready buttery heavenliness. YUM.

Complementary bread

We ordered an appetiser to share. The Appetiser Sampler ($20.90 normally, $23 on Sundays) came with fire wings, potato skins and mozzarella sticks. Three dipping sauces accompanied this appetiser - salsa, tartare and sour cream. The fire wings were very much saucy - and slightly too firey for my liking. If you asked my partner, however, he would probably tell you that they're not spicey "at all!". Mozzarella sticks were seriously just big chunks of crumbed deep fried cheese. I would prefer the cheese to be a bit more meltiness - but this was really slightly heavy. The potato skins, on the other hand - was pretty awesome and perfect. Thinly skinned then crisped and topped with melted cheese and lots of bits of bacon and sprinkled with shallots. This was deliciousness!

Appetiser Sampler

I ordered the St Louis Style Carolina Honey ribs. My partner tried to convince me to order the full rack and promised me that he would help me finish it off. I resisted and insisted on the regular ($28.50 normally, $31.35 on Sundays). Every rib comes with 2 sides. My choice was coleslaw and mashed potato. I remember that the mash used to be creamier - this was chunkier than previously. And the coleslaw was pretty average. On the other hand, the ribs were gorgeous! The meat fell off the bone, was tender and extremely tasty. Slightly honeyed and nicely grilled, it was really really delicious. Satisfied my cravings instantly. However, because it was quite meaty - I was super full before I even got half way.

St Louis Style Carolina Honey

My partner opted for the Southern Smokey Beef Ribs - 6 of them ($34.90 normally, $38.40 on Sundays). This was really HUGE chunks of tasty BBQed beef on a bone - each rib was pretty much like a steak - and to eat 6 of them??? pretty impossibleness I think. The ribs were smoked and chargrilled to perfection and also had a good sauce to meat ratio. My partner opted for coleslaw and chips. And - not only did my partner NOT help me finish my ribs, he didn't finish his!!! Lucky for us, the waiters at Tony Romas are probably used to having people doggy bag their food :)

Southern Smokey Beef Ribs

Oddly enough, we got an extra baked potato - by mistake. Oh wells~ It was soooo yummy. The potato was really soft and buttery. Topped with melted cheese, bacon, shallots andsour cream, I managed to eat bits of this even in my super fullness state.

baked potato

Overall, the ribs here were great. The baked potato and the potato skins were awesome. Everything else is so so.... but when you have awesome ribs and awesome potatoes, what else would you need? :P

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7.5/10
Overall - 30/40

Tony Romas
121 - 123 Sussex Street
NSW 2000
tel: (02) 9299 8500

4 comments:

Simon Leong said...

i haven't tried these ones before but good to know the ribs are good. how do they compare to Hurricane's Grill ribs?

chocolatesuze said...

dammit it's only 9am and i want ribs!

bbsnoopy said...

Hahaha
yeh - the ribs are pretty good.
I think they are similar to Hurricanes... maybe even a bit more succulent. It may be a hit and miss though (cos I've had a good Hurricanes AND a bad Hurricanes) LOL

Anonymous said...

I had their new all you can eat ribs last night simply bliss.