Tuesday, August 16, 2011

zenja (2) - North Strathfield

We were on our way to brunch in Eastwood or Burwood when we decided we were too hungry and wanted food RIGHT NOW. Hence, the car suddenly stopped on our road where Zenja was conveniently located. Our last experience at Zenja left me with mixed feelings - awesome food, crappy service. Nonetheless, we took the risk.

Contrary to our last experience, we were whisked away and seated immediately, the menu was provided shortly and our order was taken promptly.

Everything came out in a timely fashion and the service was friendly and attentive!!! So the lesson to be learnt here? Only visit Zenja when the crowds haven't appeared yet.

My hubby ordered a "flu fighter" ($5.50) which was a mixture of pineapple, orange and apple juice with a hint of ginger. Sounded healthy enough and tasted primarily of pineapple juice with subtle ginger. I ordered my usual - skim mocha ($3.50) and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and creamy it was. It was just strong enough in coffee and chocolate flavour, well balanced and at perfect temperature. It was as good as Melbourne coffee!!! Well, I thought so anyway :)

flu fighter - $5.50
mocha - $3.50

Foodwise, my hubby opted for the french toast ($11.50). This was two thick-cut slices of bread immersed in egg mixture, served with maple syrup, crispy bacon and grilled tomato. I'm used to eating french toast asian style, which has peanut butter dripping in the middle of the two bread slices, but I guess this style is slightly healthier.

french toast - $11.50

I remembered how awesome my eggs benedict was last time ($13) and hence, went for it again. It came with THREE huge eggs poached to perfection, a good heap of smoked salmon, a small serving of baby spinach and nicely toasted turkish bread all with a decent portion of hollandaise sauce on top. It was a winner! So deliciousness. But I have to say, 3 eggs is slightly overkill. I tried to palm an egg off to the hubby but he wouldn't take it.

Eggs benedict - $13

We had an almost perfect Zenja experience this time... until we went to pay. The bill came to $29.40 (as we had an entertainment book voucher). We gave $50 and got $20 change. Sure, we were going to tip - but I would like that to be a choice. I want to get my change then choose to leave it for them. Shouldn't that be the way it's done in Australia?

Ratings:
Food - 9/10
Service - 7.5/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 8/10
Overall - 31.5/40

Zenja
5 George St
North Strathfield
NSW 2137
tel: (02) 9746 9334

No comments: