Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Kürtősh - Surry Hills

I've been wanting to visit Kürtősh for quite a while now because all their cakes sound absolutely deliciousness. Though they are famous for their Chimney Cakes, chimney cake was not what sparked my interest. I was mainly after their peanut butter and chocolate ganache cake.

As we visited Kürtősh on a weekday before noon, the Surry Hills shop was virtually empty. The number of people coming for coffee, even, was quite scarce. Cakes here are sold by weight, so how much you pay depends on how greedy you are when asked how big a slice you want cut out of the massive slab. I have to say, this is a really dangerous thing - it' so tempting to get a big slice of these delicious looking cakes and it takes loads of will power to say "just a really small piece". On the other hand, an advantage of this way of buying cake is that you can sample as many flavours as you want as you can control the portion size.

Looking at the counter, I couldn't resist getting their flourless chocolate cake on top of my original choice of peanut butter and chocolate ganache cake. Both were super delicious! The peanut butter cake was rich and smooth and creamy - but not cakey (which is good for me, cos I'm not a huge fan of fluffy cakes). The flourless chocolate cake was also densely chocolately. Possibly wouldn't have minded more of either of these.
flourless chocolate cake, peanut butter and chocolate ganache

Hubby initially wasn't going to get anything but after seeing me have so much fun choosing the cake, he couldn't resist the tiramisu. "How many bubbles?' was the question asked - but it took a few goes before hubby understood what it meant. He got two bubbles. He absolutely LOVED it. Good portion of cake and mascapone. I didn't think that there was enough coffee flavour, but hubby didn't care.
tiramisu
I quite enjoyed this cake heaven. Because we held back from large slices, the three cakes together cost us $8.50. And so, if I have my way, I will be back to sample more delicacies here.

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 29.5/40

Kürtősh (Surry Hills)
604-606 Crown Street
Surry Hills 
NSW 2010
Tel: (02) 9319 7701

1 comment:

chocolatesuze said...

mmm i feel like tiramisu now!