Monday, January 10, 2011

New Orleans Cafe - Crows Nest

New Orleans Cafe

I feel like I hadn't eaten at a cafe in AGES and so when the opportunity to eat a leisurely Sunday cafe lunch, I jumped to it. On this occasion, we landed at New Orleans Cafe in Crows Nest.

Given the name, I was expecting some huge servings of some food or the other - and I was not disappointed. The only slight disappointment was my iced mocha. I requested for no cream (I hate the taste of cream), only to see the drink-making dude squeeze a huge dallop of cream on it, then realise his mistake, then take it all off again. So yes - hence, the bad appearance of my drink. Luckily, it tasted alright.

Iced mocha

Foodwise, my partner decided on the Peri Peri Chicken Po'boy ($20) - which essentially means, a big garlic French baguette sub type thing. In this huge bread sub, there was grilled chicken marinated peri peri style, guacamole, cheese, tomato and lettuce with aioli. The chicken was tender and tasty but not overpowering. The bread was crispy and fresh. It seemed to me like the right combination of everything. Not bad at all.

Peri peri chicken Po'boy - $20

I decided on the Wagyu Beef burger ($16). This was a super super thick patty of organic soft wagyu beef with onions, yummy melted cheese, tomato, lettuce and aioli, again served with fries. The patty was a little burnt on either side but because it was soooo thick, it was really really juicy (and probably really really unhealthy). It was interesting because the burnt bits added extra texture to the soft juiciness of the whole burger. The frieds were also amazingly good. Crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. It was extremely extremely yum :)

Wagyu beef burger - $16

So all up, New Orleans Cafe gets my tick of approval. It looks like a dirty American diner (and probably is), but as long as you don't look into the kitchen, the food is rather decent. They also had quite a big Sunday crowd which just kept coming and coming.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 6.5/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 28/40

New Orleans Cafe
6 Willoughby Rd
Crows Nest
NSW 2065
Tel: (02) 9436 2596

3 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Hmm odd they flicked off your cream instead of making you another one. The Po'boy looks great - you have me craving an oyster po'boy now!

bbsnoopy said...

Haha
yeh, I would have expected a new one. But... I guess that's probably typical American diner service :)

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH - been going to new orleans cafe for years! this is an old favourite of ours and the type of place we used to go to just catch up with friends. Burgers look better than ever too!