Monday, January 24, 2011

Sweeties Paradise - Haymarket

My friends and I have always raved on about how Sydney needs like, proper proper sweet soup places. When "Meet Fresh" opened in Chinatown and there were massive massive lines - I was excited! Yes!!! It's finally happening! But when all of my friends (most whom lined up for AGES) came back with not so good reviews of the food there, I was much less enthusiastic about giving it a go.

Sweeties Paradise

I have to admit though, I was on my way to dragging my partner to "Meet Fresh" until something else caught my eye. Another sweet soup place!!! I think it's newly opened (since Dec last year?) What caught my eye was actually the similarity in the bowls between "Sweeties Paradise" and a popular honky chain "Honeymoon desserts" (滿記甜品). Because of the smilarities on the bowls and spoons that they used, I dragged my partner in and braved an order.

I ordered my usual - Mango Pompelo & Sago Sweet soup (served cold) ($5.50). It came out really thick! OK, so there's not as much mango or pompelo in it as I would have liked, but OMG there's SOOOO much sago in this! I would have been happy with half the amount of sago I received in this. LOL. The coconut mangoey liquid part was very very creamy - not too sweet and not not sweet enough. The pompelo was slightly sparce but the mango (when you were lucky enough to catch a piece) was pretty nice. In all honesty, sweet soup in Sydney is more expensive and not yet as nice as that in HK. But as far as sweet soup goes in Sydney, this is definately probably one of the better ones there are. Not excellent-have-to-go-everyday quality, but definately good-enough-to-return quality.

Mango Pompelo & Sago Sweet Soup - $5.50

Ratings:
Food - 7.5/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 28/40

Sweeties Paradise
Chinatown (Dixon St)
Haymarket
NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9212 3818

4 comments:

Lil said...

I've read reviews of the sesame soup being just bland sesame paste though. How does it compare with LNC? I thought Meet Fresh was decent though nothing too special ><

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

I looked at the menu and there is a huge range of sweets here, so it'll be good when I get to try it. I wonder what happened to Helen's bakery though?

bbsnoopy said...

Well - I thought that what I ordered here was decent. I can't speak for all the desserts I didn't order though. May have to go bak and try some other stuff ;)

missklicious said...

I haven't noticed this place before. Definitely agree that we need more of these kind of places though! I usually get some from the Chinatown markets (black sticky rice one) but that's only once a week. Nice to know there's another one to go to now :)