Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shan Cheng Hot Pot - Haymarket

Feeling like hotpot whilst out in the city. Lucky for us, there's plenty of hot pot places for us to choose from. The one we chose this time was San Cheng Hot Pot - filled with people - with pretty much every one of them speaking mando. Made me feel as though I was in China :(

Shan Cheng Hot Pot

We sat down and had a good list of things to choose from. One thing was the soup base. I don't do chilli, and my partner does chilli extreme. The perfectness of this split pot is that my partner could have his super extra chilli side and I could have my chicken stock non-chilli soup side.

soup base

In terms of dunking ingredients, I ticked off a variety of "balls" - cuttlefish balls, beef balls, tofu fish - beef tripe, oysters, fatty beef slices, chinese cabbage, bean curd, king oyster mushrooms, corriander and white raddish. Yes - a whole heap of food.

Food-wise, everything was frozen, including the four oysters ($10) which were pretty fail. So hint - don't do seafood here. But everything else, we pretty much do frozen stuff for hot pot anyway so it didn't matter too much.

In terms of the soup-base, my side was pretty good and tasty. My partner's super hot hot hot side was seriously... super hot hot hot! My partner was almost dying from the hotness (and trust me, he takes chilli really well).

cuttle fish balls
beef balls
tofu fish
beef tripe
oysters
beef
chinese cabbage
bean curd
king oyster mushrooms
corriander
white raddish

Overall, food at this place is OK. The soup base was also OK. My partner almost died eating it, but he was also super addicted to it that he couldn't stop eating it (even though it was killing him). The atmosphere here wasn't great - unless you like the feel of being in a super crowded city in China. Service was average and pricewise, our bill came to around $80.

Ratings:
Food - 7/10
Service - 6/10
Ambiance - 6/10
Value for money - 6.5/10
Overall - 25.5/40

Shan Cheng Hot Pot
Shop 8a, 363 Sussex Street
Haymarket
NSW 2000
tel: (02) 9267 6366

No comments: