Monday, August 24, 2009

Ching Yip Coffee Lounge - Haymarket

Ching Yip Coffee Lounge

With an ongoing yet sudden craving for clay pot rice (aka bowl son rice) - ie. rice cooked in a clay pot with yummy ingredients on top - my partner and I found ourselves going up some dicey elevators in a building filled with closed shops and into a somewhat busy honky-style cafe.

We quickly ordered our clay-pot rice and drinks and were alerted to the (expected) 20 minute wait for the rice. My malted ice holicks was very yum and filling whilst my partner's redbean iced drink with icecream looked somewhat murky and less impressive compared to the ones at Cafe de Macau (in Eastwood).

Iced Holick

Red-bean with icecream

I ordered a chicken and chinese sausage clay pot rice ($10). This was very much much deliciousness. The chicken was smooth and tender and chicken-tasting. The Chinese sausages were very tasty yet I could subconsciously taste the fat oozing out from it. Also, the rice (drenched with soy sauce) and kept sizzling hot by the pot was al

Chicken and chinese sausage clay-pot rice - $10

My partner was slightly more greedy in his selection of toppings - he wanted Chicken and Chinese mushroom with Chinese sausages. After he ordered, he seemed to regret not adding even more topping on (eg. salty fish). Nontheless, my partner thoroughly enjoyed his feast too and demolished the whole thing.

Chicken and mushroom and chinese sausage

Overall, being where it was, you really can't say too much about the service or the decor. However, Sydney-standards-wise, I have to say that this is probably the best tasting clay-pot rice I've had. And for just $10, I think it deserves a re-visit.

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 6.5/10
Value for money - 7.5/10
Overall - 29/40

Ching Yip Coffee Lounge
Level 2 Dixon House
413 Sussex St
Chinatown
tel: (02) 9281 1591

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Ah yes I keep meaning to head back here sometime for lunch or afternoon tea. I love the atmosphere there, and the journey up the escalators past the dated decor of travel agents, hairdressers and accountants is half the fun!

bbsnoopy said...

hahahaha
yes... the spooky chinese medicinal old musty air smell at night too :P